My Photo
Name:

Brandon and I have been married for almost 13 years, have two beautiful children, soon to be three! We are adopting from Ethiopia and couldn't be more excited to start this new chapter!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Trailers for sale or rent...

Sometimes I hear a song and think of my Grandma and Grandpa Fannin. My grandpa passed away a month before Brandon and I got married (10 years ago), and my grandma in December of 1996. A song that I absolutely love and brings back such strong memories of them that I get teary is "King of the Road" by Roger Miller. Don't ask me why this song gets me, but it does.

Gone are the days of riding in the back of their Suburban, yelling, "You okay back there Sadie?!", referring to the old travel trailer they had. Gone are the days of getting up at 3am to get in the car to drive to Soap Lake to get our vacation started. Gone are the days of peeing in the garden because it was too far to go to the house.

They did, however, leave behind lessons that we won't soon forget...spontaneity, famous "Maudie" sayings such as, "Better out than in...", "You have to have pants with pockets or they aren't any good", and "Your feet are like ice." But best of all, my grandma instilled in me a love for garage sales! Every Saturday we would get up and go see what treasures we could find. Rain or shine, that was what we did. 

Many times she would let us stay home from school on the Monday following the weekend that we were with her to keep her company. She liked to spend time with us, taught us card games like crazy, and always had 7 Up or Ginger Ale on hand (with salt added to it) in case we got a tummy ache.

I still love to garage sale and still drink 7 Up with salt in it when I have an upset stomach.  I love memories....thanks, Rog.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song was a staple in the ol' suburb. I loved reading this. You wrote it so well. I was just talking about them tonight, saying what great memories we have of them and how close and tightly knit we were. I was missing them very much.

"Your feet are like ice." I can clearly hear her saying it in her raspy voice. :)

October 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Addis Ababa